Wednesday 19 November 2014

Day 362: Invasion of the Dinosaurs Part 3

The villain's plan is still yet to fully reveal itself, so I'll withhold discussion on that for the moment and instead bring up a very important point about Invasion of the Dinosaurs. DINOSAURS! As a young boy I loved dinosaurs. Their majesty and exciting features, coupled with the documentary series Walking With Dinosaurs sparked a youthful obsession with these terrible lizards. Naturally, when looking through Doctor Who: The Television Companion, I found the story with dinosaurs in it and got excited for it, wanting to see what would be presented to me.

The sad thing is that the dinosaurs as presented are not as CGI like the Dinosaurs that I walked with that sparke my interest in the topic, instead they are models. And somewhat poor models as well, which obviously gel poorly with the humans occupying the scenes with them. This makes for a depressing moment, as I can reflect on how I should never get my hopes up for special effects, as they'll always be less than special.

But the effects don't matter. When I was a kid and watching Walking with Dinosaurs, I wasn't thinking of the impressive effects, I was thinking of the dinosaurs that were in front of me. And the fact still remains that dinosaurs are in Doctor Who and that this is remarkably cool and exciting. We get to see the majesty of the Stegosaurus, the horror of the Tyrannosaurus Rex, the beauty of the Brontosaurus. The fact that they're less than convincing doesn't matter as we can still appreciate the meaning behind it and get excited to see Dinosaurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment