Saturday 1 November 2014

Day 344: Planet of the Daleks Episode 1

It was a long time until I got around to watching Planet of the Daleks. By the time that I watched it, I was no longer the bright faced young boy who was able to look forward to everything. Instead, I was a somewhat cynical teenager watching this story with an apparently poor reputation. It's somewhat depressing, watching this again, because the faults become more pronounced. The problem isn't with the direction though, nor the design, both of which are reasonably strong. Instead, the writing is somewhat lacking, as we come off a highly political story with themes to satisfy older viewers to a simple space adventure story written by Terry Nation. As a child, I would have been pleased and excited to see this story (indeed I remember reading the novelisation when I was 11 and being impressed by what was unfolding before me), but as a teenager there was little to excite me, so I just sat down and hoped that this story would somehow get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment