Tuesday 28 July 2015

Day 613: Resurrection of the Daleks Part 1

I'm very sorry, but this entry won't be as long as it should be, mainly because I've just had a 10 hour day at Uni as well as various other places and I'm slowly falling asleep, hence I want to get this done quickly.

But this episode is not one that can be done quickly. Due to a quirk of scheduling, it went from being a four part story to a two part story with double length episodes, inadvertently predicting the future of Doctor Who, both in the short term for Colin Baker's first full series as the Doctor and in the long term with how the series is broadcast since the revival in 2005. Oddly enough, it works quite well in this instance, most likely due to the fact that both Eric Saward (writer) and Matthew Robinson (director) keep a good pace up and ensure that things are always happening on screen, preventing boredom from setting in too much.

Another note that I'd be remiss to mention is Malcolm Clarke's music. It's not the best score for the series, but it is memorable. I know this because, 7 years ago, I had to do a speech on music and how it relates to visual images in TV and film. I originally chose Resurrection of the Daleks, and briefly analysed a certain scene before changing my mind and doing The Curse of Fenric instead. But, despite the fact that I only really watched that scene in detail once or twice 7 years ago, when it came up again, I was struck by the music and how familiar it sounded. So, at the very least, this story has a rather nice score behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment