Sunday 28 September 2014

Day 310: The Curse of Peladon Episode 3

After getting my rant out of the way yesterday, I feel that I am now able to discuss some other important features that are actually more relevant to this episode.

Costuming in any production is something I personally feel the need to discuss, but I feel that it is particularly important to bring up the costuming decisions and designs in this 1972 episode of Doctor Who. Naturally the first piece of costuming that springs to mind is one that must be seen to be believed, Alpha Centauri. And at that mention we shall leave it as there may be children present, but I will say that it does win the award for most outstanding use of a shower curtain in an attempt to hide any unprofessional parts of the costume.

A common feature of Doctor Who is the usually quite stunning costuming sported by the companions, and Jo Grant is no exception to this. In this episode we see Jo in a shiny two piece outfit, adorned with floral patterns. It is so very 1970s. But not, however as 1970s as the costuming of our King Peladon. Peladon is dressed in an interesting outfit of deep purples and royal blue, signifying his high standing in this society. Similarly we see his advisors dressed in a similar get up, although a little more conservative than Peladons mini-skirt. Perhaps on Peladon the shortness of ones skirt denotes importance? Or perhaps the costume designers of this show were faced with a small budget and expensive fabrics, leading them to make cuts wherever possible?

Similarly, the costuming of the guards of the citadel also leaves very little to the imagination. So much so that one wonders how practical this ‘armour’ must be should conflict arise. I imagine as practical as that of the kind granted so often to female superheroes and video game characters, that is to say, not very. But let us not get off topic here, I had my little rant yesterday.


Although I could find at least one thousand more words to say on the costuming of this episode, going into intricate detail on the makings of the costumes, and rambling on about what kinds of fabrics I think they used, I feel that I must draw this entry to a close. This is simply to spare you from boredom as you read through an overly long and drawn out entry discussing the intricacies of the making of the Doctors jacket, which is, may I say in one final comment, rather fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment