Sunday 7 September 2014

Day 289: The Claws of Axos Episode 1




Some days I sit down to write about a Doctor Who story with a vague idea of the themes that we'll be discussing. And some days, I'll find that similar themes that I thought would occur do occur, although there is still some room for surprises here and there. An example is, for instance, The Mind of Evil. I knew that there would be elements of fear and a prison setting, however I was not aware of the Master's plan nor the secret behind the Keller Machine. But the point is that sometimes these surprises can be lovely little things for me as I voyage across the entire history of Doctor Who, one episode at a time.

All of that, of course, was me getting around the fact that I laughed for a full minute at the image at the top of this blog post. There are so many things to find funny about it. For a start, it's labelled 'top secret'. This lets people know that it's a top secret file, which would be handy if any enemy agents or anything were to sneak into a room and look for a top secret file, as they would certainly have an idea of where to look. But it's not just that, as it's all in lower-case as well. This makes it feel like a relaxed top secret file. It's not that worried with being strict and terrifying, and makes you feel comfortable with the fact that you're reading information that could be dangerous to the public when released. This is backed up by the font, which could only be improved if it were in Comic Sans, allowing for the reader to think of this file as a fun, relaxed file, that wants to just chill. The colour as well is a pale blue, reflecting the calming nature of the file.

But it's more than all of that. It's the fact that I've just come off The Mind of Evil, a relatively straight story. to be thrust into a scene with this much relative silliness proved too much for me, and I couldn't take the juxtaposition any more. My only release was through laughter, and so I laughed for a minute at the supreme silliness of what I was seeing before me. And if there's one thing that I want to take away from doing this blog, it's this moment of pure unadulterated laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment