Monday 21 July 2014

Day 241: The Space Pirates Episode 4


Hi everyone!

Having to write on a story from part way through is much like... So on that note I shall try and avoid comparison to Firefly, so instead I shall rely on somewhat of a stretch comparison to a wonderful piece of extended, albeit unnecessary, exposition that some would like to call a refer to as a movie (It's at this point that Thomas has let out a large sigh, followed by the phrase "here we go") "The Phantom Menace". This episode featured probably 3 comparisons of merit, so shall we?

1. When we have Troughton offering some needless comic relief with the playful line "I like drawing pins" I cannot help but think "Mesa caused mabbe one, two-y lettle bitty axadentes, huh?" Uhhmmm... Sorry was just clearing my throat.

2. The story continues along the now established path of not a lot. I counted at least 5 scenes that were essentially useless; providing us with everything from some of the slowest dialogue progression I've seen in my life to a set of scenes spanning nearly a third of the piece depicting the pursuit of one of the pirate craft only to have it end in a simple re skinning dupe on the pirates behalf. Now surely this sort of wasteful use of screen time and hiding in a terrible disguise past intelligent beings  would never make it into a Lucas film? Oh, that's right it did, three times, in one movie... Oh well, moving on.

3. Here we have a story which sees the Doctor and companions take on a bit of a minor part in the narrative, now I am not opposed to this, "Blink" for example is a truly exemplary piece of television and this  feature is used effectively. Here however, much like The Phantom Menace, we have characters which are otherwise strong and well establish plot pieces of the extended arc just loosely tossed aside to the betterment of no one and who are more or less there to nibble at the ankles of the protagonist. Yes that's right I just compared the Doctor to a piranha, well time to go have a nice cold shower...

Overall I feel like I am being harsh as this is as Thomas has address quite a dull narrative but is not nearly as bad as The Phantom Menace (I think the sledging is out of my system now, well the next 3 days) and alas I feel this narrative can be better analysed through comparison to the now well establish character archetypes, tropes and motives of Sci-Fi Westerns most notable firefly and perhaps I'll reach something of this tomorrow. But as implied earlier this comparison appears like something, that at this stage is rather superfluous, kinda like writing this entire post in the HTML composer.

With love, your temporary blogger Mitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment