Wednesday 23 July 2014

Day 242: The Space Pirates Episode 5

I open this evening with two apologies. The first is my failure to post last night which occurred due to some extenuating circumstances that have transpired over the past few day. The second is an apology to Thomas for what you're about to read.

To my amazement today's instalment reminded me more of an episode of a favoured TV show and less like observing the paint on a freshly painted blue locomotive dry. We are plunged into immediate and thrilling action of murder, that's right murder, I speak nonchalantly merely as a matter of perspective. Here we have what now is a third party post murder morality crisis cliché whereby character A entrusts character B for personal gain only to later regret said decision with something along the lines of "No, I can't let you do this." There is a certain juxtaposition I can make within a certain children's television programme, but I'll get to this later.

Here I feel much more comfortable, the Doctor, when imprisoned, leaps into the usual Macgyver-esque solution whilst supplying us with that old-timey Brit wit and humour. I say this is comforting because it is the one part of the episode that whilst being samey is different. The quirkiness of the doctor actually forced a smile and made the dwindling fire flicker a little brighter and seeing that superconducting brain strategies is close to pure beauty, let's be honest. Unfortunately this does not correct the problem at hand, this continue to build on the aforementioned correlative where a Mr Hatt supplements the story with cute British quirks, more on this in a moment.

The final point I'd like to raise is the villains scheme, which sees the Doctor once again being placed in mortal cliffhanging danger, yep sounds like we have all the pieces in place for an episode... another generic episode. The train of progression is stunted by the box car of the expected, which I feel is the key here, as stated this may be a matter of perspective but alas I feel this may not be the case. Again this simile to tank engines inspires a further comparison in regards to the generic, a how to in the creation of standard and repetitive fictions.

So now on my the big moment, my concluding comparison, as whilst this episode present a change from the set standard of "Not a lot" (self quote boom!), the resounding ehh that results draws me to analogue with  Thomas the Tank Engine. For the severe lack of repeatability and lack of any emotion makes me feel like the writer just didn't care and this trickles down the production line. Which is, OF COURSE, the antithesis of Thomas the Tank Engine. Perhaps in my last guest appearance I'll get down to proper analysis, though alas I feel the un-inspiration of this narrative is somewhat contagious and the continued lack of innovation is infectious that may continue to plague me, but hey, I'm trying here!

With love, Mitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment