Tuesday 27 May 2014

Day 186: The Enemy of the World Episode 1

I remember the day well. I'd been hearing rumours for some time, but never quite believed that they were true. Events escalated and I discovered that the rumours were, in some form, true. And as I walked into my French class, I quietly opened up Google Chrome and searched for what was found. Because a man called Phil Morris had found 9 episodes of Doctor Who, not seen since the 1960's. The Enemy of the World was now completed, and The Web of Fear was almost complete. I spent the rest of the day in ecstasy. All I could do when I was with my friends was giggle with glee at fianally getting a chance to see these once lost episodes, now found for all to view. And with good reason, because there are so many elements of this story that just wouldn't translate to the audio version. Troughton is full of little moments, his face is able to find so many subtelties within the script, and he is also able to act as two completely different characters within a short space of time, but they are so distinct that you don't actually notice that they're being played by the same actor. There's also some wonderful direction from Barry Letts, who has one of my favourite camera movements of all time as he attaches the camera to the back of a helicopter and then films the action packed scene from which the Doctor and co. need to be rescued from disappearing out of sight. It's difficult to describe, but it's easy to see now. And that fills me with all sorts of happiness 9 days out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment