Monday 26 May 2014

Day 185: The Ice Warriors SIX

One of the lovely things about this journey throughout Doctor Who is that I get to experience some stories that I've never seen before. When I say that, I don't so much mean getting to watch stories that I've heard about for years meaning that I finally get to actually see events that everyone else has been going on about for yonks. Instead, I mean that I get to see stories and be surprised by how much I'd overlooked this story because it's actually quite good. This is something that I've experienced with The Ice Warriors. Previously, I've considered it to just be another Second Doctor story, with the first appearance of the eponymous Martians, but now, I'm able to recognise it as a scientific story. It takes science and shows it all the ways in which it is used, whether it be through misunderstanding of how science works with the bad science present in this story, showing the fact that computers are not the be all and end all of modern science, and that there are other methods that others may prefer, and finally allowing science to save the day in the end. It's a good story, and vastly underrated, and I'm thrilled that this first viewing of this story was so pleasurable for me. And tomorrow, we encounter a story that also gave a very pleasurable first viewing for myself and several others, mainly because we never thought that it would ever happen...

No comments:

Post a Comment