Friday 9 October 2015

Day 686: Ghost Light Part 1

I have almost no doubt that I am the only person who got to watch Ghost Light thanks to Woman's Day magazine. You see, my mum was friends in high school with someone who would later go on to become editor of said magazine. Clearly, whilst they were having a catch-up session, my mum must have mentioned that I was interested in Doctor Who, and so I received some old review copies of Doctor Who DVDs that they clearly had lying around the office. All of this led to an interesting relationship with an interesting story.

My memories of watching this episode for the first time at the age of 11 or 12 are vague. A few shots here and there, a line of dialogue maybe, the excellent score by Mark Ayres, small things that stick in your mind after the adventure is over. Which leads me to have to fill in the gaps in my memory, to try and figure out what I thought of this episode. All I can come up with is that I was completely apathetic to this episode. I probably watched it, but it was all white noise, in one ear and out the other. It's because this story is not very good at enticing young kids into the world of Doctor Who, particularly after the rip-roaring adventure that was Battlefield. It's all a little bit too odd, and there's not quite enough that's being explained to really entice you into the story at large. But as I grew older, I began to understand...

No comments:

Post a Comment