Tuesday 15 September 2015

Day 662: Delta and the Bannermen Part 1

The last time I watched this story, I rather looked down on it. It seemed to be stupid, with poor acting, poor writing, and half decent direction that can't really save it. So I wasn't expecting to completely love it this time around that I watched it. And what's more, I expected even less to love it for exactly the same reasons that I didn't love it the last time.

It's a story that knows exactly what it is, a stupid piece of harmless fun, and thus it decides to run with this approach and make something so completely stupid and illogical that it defies all sense. The end result is something that's frequently hilarious and oddly enjoyable. I'll give an example of what I mean: Billy is a mechanic from 1950's Wales who meets Delta, the Chimeron Queen. The two sit down for lunch together and briefly look in each other's eyes. They are now hopelessly in love. This moment is not overplayed with romantic music or a slow motion shot of the two locking their eyes together. It is instead underplayed so much that you overlook it completely. It's scenes like this that feel wonderfully ridiculous because of the way in which they have been plotted, and so you can't help but laugh at the sheer ham-fisted nature of the plot.

So why do I now love this story so? Because I think this has to have been done on purpose. The story is filled with moments like this, where ridiculous conclusions are made from ridiculous set-ups and nobody bats an eyelid at them. It creates an overall very funny story, and one which I'm now very much looking forward to re-watching in a new light.

No comments:

Post a Comment