Tuesday 18 February 2014

Day 88: Small Prophet, Quick Return

I suppose that I was predisposed to like The Myth Makers. It's because it's also a comedy story, with some incredibly funny moments throughout the story, indeed this episode's title is itself an absolutely glorious pun that took me several years to figure out, and when I finally 'got' it, I burst out laughing in the middle of the street at the beauty of this simple joke. There are other funny moments as well, such as the laugh out loud joy of Paris being forced to engage himself in a fight with Steven, where Paris doesn't want to fight at all, and Steven desperately wants to be captured. Because it's these little moments that make things memorable, and make them funny. We may look down on things that use comedy as a story telling device, on the grounds that apparently drama is better at it. But comedy is good as well, because it can leave the audience smiling at the absurdities of situations, or some particularly bad puns. The Myth Makers isn't just a massively underrated Doctor Who story, it's also a lost comedic classic.

1 comment:

  1. I love this story too; I wish I could watch it instead of just hearing the audio. Hartnell is very funny indeed in his more petulant moments, I think.

    ReplyDelete