Saturday 12 March 2016

Day 816: Under the Lake


I can't remember when it was exactly, but I was talking to my Dad a couple of months ago about the blog and how watching it all in order gave me a new appreciation for the developing nature of the series over time. He agreed with me, and then said that what it would also mean is that when I reached Rose, I'd also get to experience the shock of seeing the series jump ahead in terms of production. And he was right. Well, right-ish. You see, that shock ended up happening a lot sooner than I thought, and it was a far larger jump than from Doctor Who: The TV Movie to Rose.

On the 9th of July, the first trailer for Series 9 was launched. As seen above, it promised a series full of excitement and wonder, with a heavy focus on the first two stories in the series: the Dalek/Missy two parter and the underwater base/ghost two parter. Both of them looked and felt visually impressive, in particular the underwater story which was filled with some fascinating sets and beautiful creature design. This is coupled with the moody lighting which helps add to an overall feeling of isolation from the outside world - a base where you're trapped beneath the surface. And this all blew my mind and left me massively looking forward to those two episodes (which would later be known as Under the Lake and Before the Flood).

But the real reason why my mind was blown and I was left thinking that everything looked so amazing is because at the same time, I was watching the Peter Davison era story Terminus. Now, whilst I will be tempted to defend Terminus on any given day of the week, I will admit that it is severely lacking in production values. So to see something as cinematic as Under the Lake and to know that it came from the same programme that could also produce Terminus was one of the most shocking experiences that I've ever had over the course of doing this blog. So the moral of the story is: if you want something to look more impressive, watch Terminus beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment