Saturday 29 August 2015

Day 645: The Trial of a Time Lord Part 6 - Mindwarp Part 2


Yesterday, I mentioned how unnerving this story is, and how I struggled to find much fun in it. For the most part, this continued for this episode, as I was frequently unnerved, and on one occasion thoroughly frightened by what was on screen in front of me. But, there was one thing which I'd somehow neglected to think about when considering whether this story had much fun within it. That thing is, of course, BRIAN BLESSED.

BRIAN BLESSED is one of those actors who instantly improves anything that he appears in, through his charismatic and loud portrayals of various characters such as Prince Vultan in Flash Gordon, Boss Nass in The Phantom Menace (a thoroughly underrated film, in my opinion) and of course King Yrcanos in Mindwarp. Every scene that he is in involves him shouting his dialogue before threatening violence on someone. And whilst this may not be a fully fleshed out 3-dimensional character, it is still something that you can't quite draw your eyes away from. It vastly improves this story, and helps to remind me of why I fell in love with it in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment