Friday 28 August 2015

Day 644: The Trial of a Time Lord Part 5 - Mindwarp Part 1

There's a large part of me that finds the process of watching Mindwarp rather odd. Because, after watching it for the first time at the age of 18, I believe that this was my favourite Doctor Who story of all time. Now, this isn't the case at the moment (I'd give that honour to either Kinda, The Ribos Operation or Frontier in Space), so I'm watching this story being fully aware that I once loved it, and I'm struggling to see why.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that this story is bad. I actually think it's rather good, it's just that I can't really see the parts of this story that made me love it a couple of years ago, compared to now. For a start, everything is remarkably dark in tone, with everything feeling just that bit more serious and slightly unnerving, such as Peri's reaction to meeting Sil again where she gets noticeably more worried and frightened of this creature. And whilst this is well played, it doesn't quite make me love this story, instead it leaves me rather distressed. But I'm still curious to see more of this adventure, and I'll see whether I can rediscover the point where I fell in love with this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment