Monday 6 April 2015

Day 500: The Armageddon Factor Part 1

Before we begin this story, I should probably talk about the context with which I'm currently viewing this story. I first saw the Key to Time series four or five years ago. The Ribos Operation stunned me, The Pirate Planet enthralled me, The Stones of Blood provided much enjoyment, The Androids of Tara was a lovely surprise and I even admired the underrated The Power of Kroll. Then I came to The Armageddon Factor. I didn't enjoy this story. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that I hated it. That opinion has been stuck within my mind for several years. So, whilst I try to come to each story with a relatively open mind, I'm not sure whether that will be possible in this situation.

That said, the first part of this is actually pretty good. It begins with a post-modern piece where we look at two hammy actors in front of some dodgy blue-screen effects, only for the camera to pan out and reveal that this is just a drama, and our real set is revealed, looking far more realistic as a nuclear bunker is bombarded and we see the destruction that past attacks have wrought on the populace, lying on the floor moaning for help as nurses hurriedly rush to their aid.

Indeed, the entire episode feels rather dark, with death destruction and the constant barrage of explosions being a constant presence as events continue. But, thanks in part to Tom Baker's performance as the Doctor, and also a romantic sub-plot from Bob Baker and Dave Martin (the writers), it never feels overtly dark, and we can grow to enjoy the story. So maybe I was wrong about it the first time around, and The Armageddon Factor is just another underrated gem that we've encountered on this voyage through time and space.

No comments:

Post a Comment