Wednesday 25 March 2015

Day 488: The Stones of Blood Part 1


This episode surprised me, and in more ways than one. I've only seen it once before, around four or five years ago, and my memories of it are fairly hazy. I remember the basic story structure, one or two stand-out scenes and a couple of supporting characters but aside from that I remember virtually noting about this story. I realised this when one of the 'monsters' is revealed towards the end of Part 1 of this story. Not only had I not recalled that this 'monster' was revealed at the end of Part 1, I had also entirely forgotten that this existed. So when it was revealed, I was at first incredibly confused. I stared at the screen for what felt like an age, trying to figure out what was happening. Then, the design of the 'monster' slowly began to sink in. The mask in particular came across as quite frightening, and I began to feel a little bit scared. It's nice to know then that Doctor Who can still surprise and scare the viewer, even on second viewing. So I'm kind of looking forward to the rest of The Stones of Blood. Because if it can surprise me this way, then I eagerly await to see what other surprises lay dormant within this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment