Tuesday 26 August 2014

Day 277: Inferno Episode 6

When I was about 15, I began to rewatch a bunch of Doctor Who episodes that I had lying around. I then made the decision that the time had come. I was finally going to rewatch Inferno after 6 or 7 years. I was impressed by the quailty of it, the tenseness of the story, the fact that it still remained somewhat frightening to a teenager and for so many other reasons. But there was a part of me that was disappointed. Because there was something missing from when I watched Inferno for the first time.

There was a scene that was in balck and white, probably due to the varying picture quality of the VHS tape that I watched it on, which featured a giant Primord attacking the research complex. Granted, it was a model of the research complex, but the sentiment reamined the same. These things were not to be messed with and they were terrifying.

But people who have watched Inferno will have noticed that this scene is not present in the story. I'd made it up. Or rather, my subconscious had made it up. The night after I finished watching Inferno, I had a nightmare about Primords. My first nightmare about Doctor Who. It's one of the earliest memories that I have of seeing the programme, being terrified of it. So terrified that I wouldn't watch it for years because it was such a traumatising experience. But the fact that my memory had failed me was a little disappointing, showing me that it wasn't as terrifying as I had first thought. Until I saw the ending of this episode. And then I realised why Inferno is one of the most terrifying episodes of Doctor Who ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment