Thursday 7 August 2014

Day 258: Doctor Who and the Silurians Episode 1

"Oh dear". These were the first words that I remarked upon viewing Episode 1 of Doctor Who and the Silurians for the first time, about half an hour ago. To explain, when it comes to Doctor Who episodes, they generally gall into two categories: 'ones that I've seen' and 'ones that I haven't seen'. However, there exists a special category that this and one other story fits into: 'ones that I've only heard'. Four or five years ago, I listened to the audio of this episode, and I found it quite interesting. What I really enjoyed was the fact that I was actively trying to visualise what it all looked like, and I looked forward to seeing it on screen to see how close I was to the actual fact. Take, for example, the opening scene, which is set in a cave. Only listening to it, I pictured a location shoot in an actual cave, with some moody lighting and a wholly realistic atmosphere. What I got instead was a studio set, which looked incredibly fake. I was so disappointed because it shattered my views of what the story looked like. Fortunately though, that only accounts for half of the episode, so we'll just have to wait to see whether my memory is cheating with respect to the actual story itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment