Thursday 16 October 2014

Day 328: The Time Monster Episode 5

The major reason why The Time Monster is so disappointing, in my opinion, is somewhat personal. When The Time Monster was aired on Australian TV as part of a repeat run of Doctor Who episodes, I did not watch it. I can't remember the exact reason, but I have a strong feeling that it was because I was more interested in a video game known as Age of Mythology. The game was a Real Time Strategy based adventure where you would take a Civilisation and through using their Gods you would be able to crush your opponents. This game instilled in me a love for mythology, and I would spend the next couple of years obsessed with Egyptian Gods, the Norse Legends and in particular, Greek Heroes. I don't think that I knew then, that The Time Monster dealt with these themes otherwise I would have watched it with keen interest, but I can't help the feeling that the story would have been massively disappointing to my young self. For someone who had this idea of Kronos as the destroyer of worlds and Atlantis as a great lost civilisation, I could have only been let down by the less than stellar ways of The Time Monster. It's a shame, as this idea of looking at Greek Mythology is certainly a good one and hopefully it will be dealt with better as the series progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment